What are your favourite passive income streams?

Jimlad

From print-on-demand t-shirt sales to selling courses and brushes, digital artists and designers have many paths open to them to make money while they sleep.

Do you have any favourites?

I used to do this stuff years ago - it wasnt' very profitable for me. The market was saturated and a lot of the sites paid pittance.

Are you using any yourself?

Hey Jim. I think the only one I've dabbled with over the years is stock illustration, because I had over 20 years' worth of stuff I could potentially put out there.
You never make much but it's nice to see them making a couple of quid each week for doing nothing.

I always wanted to set up an Etsy site to sell a few prints and cards but never got round to it yet.

Funny, I have been meaning to do something for years and just never had the time. I think, if you do it, you have to take it seriously and run it like any other business. Then it might make money. I have some stock photos up snd they make a tiny amount. However, I know a photographer who makes a very good living at it. He is very conscientious and runs it as a business.

Think the days of putting a few POD products products up there and making a few thousand a year are long gone. I plan on devoting a fair chunk of time to getting something off the ground. We’ll see how it goes…

From print-on-demand t-shirt sales to selling courses and brushes, digital artists and designers have many paths open to them to make money while they sleep.

Do you have any favourites?
I have to be honest. I have tried a few passive income streams for designers and most do not go very far at all, many designers come to the conclusion of selling their own stuff online only to realise there are many, many creatives also doing the same. I tend to find greater success with making extra income by selling physical products in shops. Some of this experience also comes from my background in design in retail.

If I were to invest more in this, I would design products that suit a target demographic, have a decent price point, and are interesting enough for the customer. If you go this far, you are in essence swapping clients for customers. It is not a small undertaking.

Back